Archbishop Mary Floyd Palmer
ARCHBISHOP MARY FLOYD PALMER, D.Min., LH.D
Archbishop Mary Floyd Palmer, also affectionately known as Bishop Mary, is the eldest daughter of the late Rev. Dr. Melvin & Elizabeth) Floyd, one of Philadelphia’s legends best known for his impactful street ministry of stopping violence and leading 250,000+ souls to Christ. This accomplishment made him best known as the “Dean of Evangelism” in the faith community. A family woman who resides in Germantown, she is a mother of five adult children, grandmother of seven and brand new great-grandmother of Isaiah (1/10/21). A 1980 Suma Cum Laude graduate of the prestigious Philadelphia High School For Girls exemplifies her academic achievements to include a conferred Doctor of Ministry degree in 2016 and Ph.D. in Humane Letters in 2020.
Being born into a family where “grass roots evangelism” was the family mantle, Archbishop Mary has been actively involved with ministry since the age of three singing in the children’s choir. She has served in every position of the Church since the age of 12. A multi-instrument Musician, Choir Director, Gospel Singer and Worship Leader, Archbishop Mary has a passion for music where her gift served well in varied capacities with local community choirs. In 2004, her Father/Pastor licensed and ordained her as a gospel preacher. Five years later, Archbishop Palmer was consecrated and ordained to the HOLY Episcopal Office of Bishop in 2009; and most recently, as Archbishop in 2019, making her historic as the first African American female Archbishop in the City of Philadelphia, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and in the United States as recorded in the U.S. Congressional record. Multiple celebrations and honors were held both locally, nationally and internationally in Jamaica and Paris, France.
Her public and private sector service is in law enforcement as a Police Officer and Corporate Training Officer; as a weekly pro bono Instructor for male inmates at SCI-Chester since its opening in 1998; and as a sworn Deputy Sheriff Clergy to Philadelphia Sheriff Rochelle Bilal (2020). She was the On Air Personality & Host of award-winning The Bishop Mary Show on Philly’s Favor 100.7FM, Philly’s newest gospel radio station, which moved to her current home, WWDB in 2021.
Archbishop Mary’s service involvement is evidenced as:
• Founder, Bishop Mary Ministries(January 2011): an evangelistic outreach ministry that has led over 3,500 souls to Jesus Christ (www.bishopmary.com)
• Founder, The Samaritan Temple (2011-2019): a grassroots church ministry birthed in North Philadelphia in partnership with Young Scholars Schools and Project Home;
• Founder, Community Healing Project 4All, Inc. (2018): a community group tasked with helping our neighbors, one at a time (www.communityhealing4all.org)
• Presiding Bishop & President, Philadelphia Council of Clergy, Inc. (2019)
• Overseer, Heavenly Hall Church and DayCare ( 2019): unifying two Churches as One
• Parliamentarian/Chaplain, National Congress of Black Women, Philadelphia Chapter:
National organization founded by Shirley Chisolm and C. Delores Tucker• Presidium Member, ECOBAL
• Centennial Honorary Member, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated (2020)–“A Finer Woman”– one of the Divine 9 Black Greek organizations worldwide
• Deputy Chief Governor, NE Affairs USA, International Consulting Cabinet, United Nations
• Board Member, Mayor’s Commission on Faith-Based and Interfaith Affairs: a multi-cultural, multi-denominational group of faith leaders
• Ambassador, Truth, Justice &Reconciliation Commission, District Attorney’s Office
• Spiritual Advisor/Clergy, Philadelphia Fire Department
• Board Member, Alliance For Progress Charter School: First Charter School in North Philadelphia, top 10% of overall school success in educating children
• Board Member, Ruth Sisters Fellowship International
• Advisory Board Member, Graduate! Philly
• Guest Lecturer, Cheyney University, Youthbuild & Young Scholar Schools
Archbishop Mary has received over 50 honors and awards from government, corporate, civic, law enforcement, community and religious organizations for her consistent leadership and work spanning 45+ years.
Archbishop Mary has served faithfully in Ministry over 50+ years, is a well-versed, well-trained, yet humble and approachable Lady, ready to serve at any time. Her Ministry verse is Philippians 1:6 and I Cor. 15:58 (paraphrased): “God does not begin anything in you that He doesn’t equip and anoint you to complete in Him. Therefore, remain steadfast–no matter what!”